Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Math Talk: Counting On

Here's a quick and easy game to practice counting on. It connects to CCSS practice K.CC.2, listed below but I like it mostly because it doesn't require any materials. To practice counting forward, or "counting on" from a number other than one uses several math skills and requires practice. We use this game called "Give Me Three" in our classroom....and beyond! We do it when we're waiting for music class to begin, when we are waiting to get a drink of water after P.E. and when we are changing our gym shoes to snowboots to go home at the end of the day. It's contagious! Here is a quick video on how to play. Any questions? Ask below and my students (or I) will answer them for you!

The standardCCSS.Math.Content.K.CC.A.2 Count forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence (instead of having to begin at 1).

Note: Don't forget (like I did in the video!) that when playing to say the target number and then, "Give me three," to give students some direction. It will sound like, "8, give me three," for example.



No comments:

Post a Comment