Tuesday, January 7, 2014

CCSS Math Book Study for Teachers

In a building-wide Book Study, a group of teachers in my building elected to read and discuss Common Core Mathematics in a PLC at Work in Grades K-2 by M.R. Larson et. al. Our district provided us with the texts and one teacher leads the discussions and divvies up the chapters. We usually meet for 25-30 minutes one morning before school a week.

I like the discussions because they aren't rote or scripted like a college class with strangers might be.  Since we are all in the same boat with similar resources and professional development, the topics and discussions are highly relatable. Plus, it is great insight into what the older grade standards truly are....since no matter how often I read the first and second grade standards, they don't really stick with me.

It's a pretty dense read, as are the standards themselves.  However, I know it is a book I will highlight, take notes and revisit in chunks as I need it. It's a keeper.

Does your district have a similar book study program ever? Any titles to recommend to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment