Thursday, January 2, 2014

Welcome! Here We Go....


Kindergarten today is undoubtedly different from the year you attended, maybe with the exception of the Kindergarten class of 2012. It feels like Kindergarten is the new first grade. The students are still five years old, going on six, so how in the word do we rectify developmental norms and rigorous learning standards? There are many ways to tackle this solution, and my goal is to share with you some suggestions I have that blend Common Core and Common sense.

I'll share resources, strategies, photos, examples, and any other things I can get my hands on to help you as teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals or parents balance this in a meaningful, effective, appropriate and FUN way for Kindergarten students. Conversely, I'd love to hear your suggestions as well. What is more "Common Core" than understanding and demonstrating more than one solution to a problem anyway?!


Although I'll share a mix of materials, here are my specific goals for the 2013-14 school year:



·                Focus 1: Common Core Math for Kindergarten
o                 Plan standard based interventions
o                 Create performance assessments for standards
o                 Utilize "workshop" format featuring small group exploration, technology integration and ongoing/multiple assessment
·                Focus 2: More focused use of iPads in classroom
o                 Fewer apps with deeper use
o                 Challenge-based project for students using iPads or App Smashing
·                Focus 3: Integrate Lucy Caulkins Reading and Writing Workshop
What are your goals for this school year?

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world, Molly! They educational community will definitely benefit from your experience and expertise. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy! And Happy New Year to you AND your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing Molly! I guess I did not realize you were fluent in Spanish! Wow! Can't wait to read more of you blog. I posted the link on D100 social media. I hope that you will get some mileage out of that. As soon as we get your FB page up and running you can post the link there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mona! I'll get some more up tomorrow too with our additional day off!

      Delete